Guidelines for Students Using Inhalers
In compliance with law HB 1113 Act 187 Asthma Medication, students may choose to carry and self-administer asthma inhalers during school hours. Stroudsburg Area School district will allow students to carry and self-administer asthma inhalers by meeting the following requirements:
- The student must have a completed Stroudsburg Area School District Physician's Authorization for Medication during School Hours Form signed by both the physician and the parent/guardian.
- Physician's order must specify the student has permission to carry and self-administer an asthma inhaler during school hours and has demonstrated to the physician the ability to self-administer an asthma inhaler.
- The student shall be required to demonstrate to the school nurse their capability for self-administration and responsible behavior in the use of the asthma inhaler.
- The student must have a second emergency back up asthma inhaler kept in the school health office.
- The asthma inhalers to be carried and kept in the health office must both be clearly labeled with the student's name with permanent marker.
- Students must carry the asthma inhaler on their person or in an acceptable carryall as per school handbook rules. The Stroudsburg Area School District will not be responsible for lost or stolen asthma inhalers.
- The student will not share the asthma inhaler with other students.
- If the student abuses or ignores the school district asthma medication policy, the school administration and/or nurse will take away the asthma inhaler and remove their privilege to carry the inhaler. The parent will be contacted in the event the privilege is revoked.
- The student must notify the school nurse immediately following each use of the asthma inhaler.
The Stroudsburg Area School District agent and employees will not be held liable for any or all benefits or consequences of the prescribed asthma inhaler and bear no responsibility for ensuring that the medication is taken.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact your student's school nurse.